What are the eligibility requirements for hosting a social impact experience?
Airbnb social impact experiences allow for hosts to partner with nonprofits and eligible charitable organisations to create transformational interactions for local causes.
Social impact hosts can be staff, contractors, members, board members or volunteers for a local nonprofit organisation. In all cases, you'll need to demonstrate that have consent of your nonprofit.
Hosts will work with the nonprofit to collect funds for their cause. All proceeds from their social impact experience are paid directly to the nonprofit. You'll need to designate a payout method that results in payment being directed to an account owned and operated by your nonprofit. If your organisation requires a fiscal sponsor, please be sure the fiscal sponsor completes this process.
Hosts should work closely with the nonprofit on preparation materials and should have a deep knowledge of the local community.
Who is eligible?
The nonprofit organisation you want to host for must be a registered NGO/nonprofit organisation as defined by TechSoup here. Airbnb has partnered with TechSoup to validate nonprofit eligibility status.
To be eligible to host a social impact experience, nonprofit organisations may not be:
- A religious organisation, except when the activities being sponsored are non-sectarian, such as soup kitchens or shelters, and are open to all faiths
- An organisation that discriminates or has exclusionary practises on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, or other issues of diversity
- A political or lobbying organisation, fraternity/sorority and certain advocacy and mutual benefit organisations
- Airbnb is currently hosting experiences in 50 markets with the plan to expand in 2018. *International nonprofits operating in Cuba are welcome to apply to the experiences programme. For nonprofits registered in Cuba please contact email@example.com due to a separate verification process.
What does the application process entail?
To qualify as a Social Impact Experience, there are a few extra steps that we will need hosts and their designated nonprofit to complete.
- Review Airbnb’s Eligibility Criteria above to confirm your organisation complies.
- Verify that the designated payout method is an account owned and operated by your nonprofit.
How do I apply?
When you sign up to host an experience, be sure to check the Social impact experience box. We’ll ask you to enter information about the nonprofit organisation summary and explain how guest contributions will benefit the cause.
We waive the service fee for social impact experiences. 100% of the guest payments go directly to the nonprofit cause.