The Southwest Gardens Apartment is a large one-bedroom, one-bathroom home with a bonus room located just one-block west from the Missouri Botanical Gardens, three-blocks north of the historic Tower Grove Park and less than a mile from the Hill neighborhood. This apartment comes with everything you would need for daily life and comfort.
I have laundry machines located in the basement, WiFi and a fenced back yard with a patio for your enjoyment. This apartment can sleep up to four guests: one king-sized bed with a memory foam mattress, one twin-sized daybed accompanied by a twin trundle-bed and linens for all. The building is located in the heart of the city, making it a perfect location for getting out and about in St. Louis.
There is a lock box on the front of the building. Once you have booked I will send you instructions on how to access the keys and enter the building and apartment doors. You can check in 24 hours a day.
The guest will also have access to the shared backyard patio and basement laundry area. Laundry is free, soap and dryer sheets are provided.
Other things to note
The owner lives in the building and has a medium sized dog that is trained, quiet, loves attention and has never been inside the vacation rental apartments. The dog will never be outside of the owners apartment unattended.
Parking is on the street in front of the building and free.
This is a second floor walk-up
1) Contacting the owner: The best way to contact me, Mike York, is to call/text: (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) or email: (EMAIL HIDDEN) Please contact me about anything you may have a question about from places to eat, sites to see, problems with the apartment, etc. I do live in the building and I like my privacy as I expect you do as well, please do not knock on my door unless it is a true emergency and I will do the same for you.
2) Smoking (including E-cigs) is permitted in the BACK YARD ONLY. Please do NOT smoke in front of the building, this includes standing in the street. You can get to the back yard by exiting the rear door of the apartment in the kitchen and walking down the steps OR through the gate on the east side of the building (aka the right side). There is a patio with chairs and a bucket for your waste. Please put all waste in the provided bucket.
3) Guest Occupancy: The apartment is set up for a maximum of FOUR GUESTS ONLY regardless of size or age. The only exception is infant children.
4) No Large Parties Or Events Are To Be Held At The Property. This is NOT an event space and it will NOT be rented as one. This includes family reunions, birthday parties, graduations, pyramid scams, etc. It is unsafe to have a large amount of people inside a one bedroom apartment and it would be a disturbance to other guest staying in the building. However your local family and friends are more than welcome to visit and small family functions are definitely welcomed. If you feel that you could accidentally violate this rule, please contact the owner to discuss before making your reservation. More than likely the owner will be able to work with you provided you’re not trying to throw some knock down drag out bash.
5) NO PETS are allowed for any reason. This includes visiting pets of local friends and family. FYI: The owner has a medium sized dog; he is trained, very friendly and loves attention. However he will never be in the yard or anywhere else outside the owner’s apartment unattended.
6) Children 15 and under should not be left alone in the apartment for any reason and need to be under the supervision of an adult when outside of the apartment. Your children that are over 15 years of age are allowed to babysit your younger children in the apartment while you are absent.
7) No Space Heaters Or Outside Appliances of any kind are allowed inside the building. Video game systems and bathroom items are OK. (Hairdryers, electric razors, electric tooth brushes, hair strengtheners, etc).
8) No BBQ Grills, Deep Fryers, Smokers or any other kind of outside cooking appliances.
9) Loud Noise: Please keep loud noise to a respectable level from 10:00pm to 7:00am. Should you be disturbed by a neighboring apartment, please contact the owner immediately.
10) Back yard gates and use: Please enjoy the yard and all the furniture that is out there as much as you like between the hours of 7:00am-10:00pm. Please be sure you close the gate and/or lock the door behind you.
11) Back door of the building stays locked at all times, if you enter or exit the building through the rear door please make sure you lock it behind you.
12) Laundry is located in the basement and free of charge. You are welcome to use any machine but please only do one load at a time. For everyone’s comfort please only do laundry between the hours of 9:00am and 9:00pm. Do not start any loads of laundry that will not be finished by 9:00pm. You can get to the basement by exiting the back door of the apartment in the kitchen and going down the steps. For your use in the basement the owner provides laundry soap and dryer sheets. Don’t forget to empty the lent trap on the dryer; if it is clogged your clothes will dry slower. In the kitchen closet you will find an iron, ironing board and laundry basket. NO shoes or dish soap in the laundry machines please.
13) Basement: NO PERSONS UNDER 15 YEARS OF AGE IS TO BE IN THE BASEMENT WITHOUT AN ADULT. This is not a common area to hang out, the only reason anyone should be in the basement is to do laundry and/or store their sports equipment.
14) Hallways: Please do NOT hang out in the hallways, let your children play in the hallways or talk on the phone in the hallways. This can be a disturbance to everyone staying in the building.
15) Bicycles or large sports equipment: Please store your bicycles or large sports equipment in the basement and lock the items to the support post only; do not take them inside the apartment and do not lock them to any plumbing. You can get your equipment to the basement by walking around the east side of the building (aka the right side), enter the gate to the backyard and enter the rear door of the building (same key as the front door). The basement is a common area and other guest have access to it, please bring a lock or ask the owner and he will provide you with a lock and/or store your items in his personal lockup for you. The basement is safe and stays locked at all times, however if you are overly afraid of your equipment getting stolen or do not trust the owner to safely store it for you, it is suggested you do not bring it here. NO BICYCLES INSIDE THE APARTMENT FOR ANY REASON, THIS INCLUDES IF YOU DISMANTLE IT! Also ask the owner if you need to borrow any tools including an air pump, if you need any information about local trails and/or information about local bicycle shops for repairs and rentals.
16) Trash/ Recycling: Dumpsters are located in the rear ally behind the building. You can access the rear of the building by exiting the door in the kitchen and going down the steps or walking around the east side of the building (aka the right side) and enter the gate. Please make sure you put your trash in the dumpsters marked for TRASH or RECYCLING. THE GREEN DUMPSTER IS FOR YARD WASTE ONLY! The no sort recycling dumpster is blue and located just down the alley a few short steps. Do NOT leave your trash in the hallway or in the basement trash can. Trash bags are provided under the kitchen sink.
17) Snow & Ice: The owner will shovel and salt the sidewalks when the storm has completely stopped. If you need tools to dig out your vehicle or scrap the windows please contact the owner. DO NOT use the broom or anything else from inside the apartment to clean off your vehicle. It can get cold enough that ice melt does not work. It is also common for Saint Louis to get ice storms then blistering cold temps with snow on top. When this happens the owner will not shovel because it is safer to leave the snow down on top of the ice for traction.
18) Toiletries Provided: Each guest will have a bath towel, hand towel and wash cloth. To get you started I have provided 1 travel size bar of soap, 1 travel size shampoo, 1 travel size conditioner, hand soap and at least 1 full roll of toilet paper. Any additional toiletries will need to be provided by the traveler. Also in the apartment you will find a first aid kit, hair dryer, no-slip bathmat and make-up mirror.
19) Kitchen Provided: Gas stove with oven, full sized refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, coffee filters, two pouches of coffee, powder creamer, sugar packets, tea, toaster, blender, handheld mixer, pots, pans, dishes, bowls, glasses, silverware, wash clothes, towels, dish soap, trash bags, trash cans, sponge, dish drainer, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, sandwich bags, can opener, knives, ice trays, cutting board pitcher and cooking utensils. You should have everything needed to prepare and serve a meal, but if there is something extra you need contact the owner.
20) Windows: Please do NOT open the front windows in the living room unless there is an emergency, they tend to pop out of track and are very difficult to get back in and/or closed. There are seven other windows with screens in the apartment that you are welcome to open. Please remember to close and lock the windows when you are absent.
21) Thermostat: Leave the thermostat in the AUTO position, putting it in the ON position will only run the fan. Do not set the thermostat below 70 degrees when running the AC; this will not make the air blow colder. Thermostats control when the HVAC turns on and off, NOT the temperature of the air coming out of the vents. You are welcome to set the heat at any temperature you like. When you vacate please set the thermostat at 73 degrees.
22) Heating & Cooling Tip: This is a historic building from 1925 and it was not built with HVAC, it was added nearly 80 years later. The airflow inside the apartment isn’t perfect like a newer home but you will be very comfortable if you follow this one tip. Leave the bedroom and bathroom doors open whenever possible.
23) Wi-Fi Name: Vacation Rental Password: enjoyyourstay
24) Parking is free and located on the street in front of the building, permit is NOT required. NOT a must but please be kind to the neighbors and when possible park in front of the building you’re staying in, or at the very least on the same side of the street. Also do not take up more than one parking space; if you park between two cars and there is a large gap, pull up to allow another car to park behind you. On street cleaning days you cannot park on one side of the street for 4 hours unless there is snow on the ground. This is only one day a month; please see the street signs for this day and time.
25) Check In Time: Anytime after 3:00pm. Early check in can be arranged for NO extra cost in some cases, depends on when the stay before you leaves. Please contact the owner with any time changes the day before your check in and he will do his best to accommodate any request. The only way the owner can guarantee an earlier check in time further in advance is for you to reserve the night before.
26) Keys will be located in the lock box marked 2W just to the left of the front hallway door of the building. To open the lock box, (SEE RENTAL AGREEMENT)
27) Address: (SEE RENTAL AGREEMENT)
28) Check Out Time: No Later Than 10:00am. Later check out can be arranged for NO extra cost in some cases, depends if another guest is checking into the apartment the same day. Please contact the owner the night before your check out with any time changes and he will do his best to accommodate your request. The only way the owner can guarantee a later check out time further in advance is for you to reserve the following night.
29) Check Out Procedure:
1) Clean up after yourself, including but not limited to; spilled food, food children have thrown at the wall, hair from shaving, trash, etc.
2) Please put back things where you found them; kitchen items, bathrooms items, board games, remotes, etc.
3) Set the thermostat to 73 degrees.
4) Drape non-slip bathmat over the side of the bathtub to dry.
5) Place any wet linens in the bathtub. All other linens can be left in the laundry basket or on the beds.
6) Close/lock any open windows.
7) Take ALL of your trash out to the correct dumpster, including ANY open food. Unopened food can be left behind.
8) Do ALL of your dishes and put them away dry.
9) Turn off all of the lights inside the apartment.
10) Lock the apartment doors behind you.
11) Place the keys back into the lock box and lock it by spinning the numbers.
Unless there is some kind of complication, the only interaction I normally have with guest is during the booking process. I do live in the building so we might pass each other in the hall occasionally. Please contact me for any reason at all including tips on Saint Louis or if you would just like to meet me. I always enjoy meeting my guest and hearing their stories.
I bought this historic property in 2010 and have been working to upgrade it over the years. I was born and raised in the St. Louis area and enjoy getting out and about in the city by foot, bike and car. Most of my vacations are spent in the mountains either skiing or down-hill mountain biking. I prefer using vacation rentals for my vacations and have used my experiences to help shape my own. Feel free to ask me for recommendations of good local eats and key attractions on your visit.