Rare traditional family country house from Provence located in a large high quality garden in the Alpilles Regional Natural Park near Saint-Remy de Provence. 5 ha (12 acres) private property ideal for 10-12 people or 2-3 families with children. Large swimming pool, 6 bedrooms, large dining room, living room, double kitchen, 3 bathrooms, terrace with large table under shadowy arbor, warehouse.
This property is located in the South of France, in the heart of the Provence region, near Saint-Remy de Provence, on the North side of the Alpilles hills, inside the perimeter of the Alpilles Regional Natural Park.
The property :
The whole field is about 5 hectares (12 acres). Most part of it is a high quality garden with more than 200 species that owners enjoy to take care of all year long since few generations. There are 2 olive trees fields, large lawns areas including around the swimming pool, many flowerbeds all around, several fountains, pine trees forests, different paths giving access to the hills covered with typical Mediterranean vegetation. The neighborhood is very calm, with only few houses with the same kind of arrangement around, none of them is visible and closer than 300 m with vegetal separation. This place is both very private and open to the nature.
The house :
The main house is a previous traditional farmhouse from 19th century - a "Mas" as it is called locally - that has evolved in a holiday family house generation after generation. It has received a serious general refit in 2014. The total surface is about 200 m2 on 2 floors, plus there is a large terrace with a shadowy arbor right in front.
The main room serve as dining room. High ceiling with exposed wooden beams, typical terracotta tiles, large chimney (yes, you can rent in winter, there is a powerful heating system, Christmas time or Easter holidays are absolutely divine there), traditional furniture from Provence, 5 high aspect french windows are its main features.
It give access to the living room equipped with a library (many gardenning book available, plus more related to Provence, art, music), TV with satellite connection, audio system with CD reader and a number of disks, sofa, large chairs and a great view on the garden through several fixed glasses and 1 window.
On the other side the double kitchen is the result of the history of the house. The first part is where fridge, cooking devices, working area and water access are located. Few stairs down is a larger one with even more working areas, secondary fridge, storage, washing machine, dishwasher, ironing board. The whole certainly allows to cook for a large number of people, the number and the size of the kitchen tools are organized consequently.
The bedrooms (numbers correspond to those indicated in the photos captions) :
There are six in total, all except one being located at the first floor with an outstanding view on the garden.
- Bedroom #1 at first floor very private with double bed (queen size, 160 cm x 200 cm), wardrobe, dresser, private bathroom equipped with a shower and toilets.
- Bedroom #2 at ground floor with double bed (Quenn size 160 cm x 200 cm) chesser, private exit toward the garden and in the close vicinity of the main large bathroom equipped with toilet and large shower.
- Bedroom #3 at middle floor level with double bed (Queen size 160 cm x 200 cm), a wardrobe, with immediate proximity to a toilet and small bathroom equipped with a shower.
- Bedroom #4 at first floor, this one being more teenagers or children oriented with 2 double beds ( 1 Queen size 160 x 200 cm, 1 doube 140 cm x 190 cm) in individual alcoves, 1 single bed (90 cm x 190 cm) plus 3 flying mattresses (90 x 190 cm) on the mezzanine. 2 wardrobes and a library filled with children books.
- Bedroom #5 at 1st floor with double bed (140 cm x 180 cm) and a dresser, great view to the garden and access to bedroom 6.
- Bedroom #6 at 1st floor, with a wardrobe and view on the garden on the north side, one single bed (90 cm x 190 cm), if there are children in need to stay close to their parents.
It is obviously the place where everybody will get the meals in summertime at the very large table (more than 20 seats available) installed under the delicate shadow of the arbor made of reeds of Camargue. There is a secondary table made of local dressed stone ideal to serve the "aperitif" when it's time. This place will certainly allow you to welcome friends for dinner on top of your group as we usually do.
The large swimming pool is quite close from the house. Its depth vary from 0,80 m to 1,80 m in gentle slope , it is surrounded by lawns, with the proximity of the pool house that host the cleaning systems and various storages for pool toys (not furnished), pool towels (furnished), deck chairs. The pool is served by an electronic alarm system that can be activated on demand. The maintenance of the pool is automatic and surveyed by someone coming once a week.
Further away in the garden, there is a toy arch with 2 swings, a hamac installed under the pines trees, different dressed stone tables and benches to sit and enjoy the moment.
The house equipment also provide a large number of "boules" (balls) to play the traditional "petanque" game, fold-out tables to organize play cards contests.
There is also a warehouse in the property where we stock some plants in wintertime which is generally empty in the summer.
All in all, this place will allow a large group to take full benefit from the famous south of France "art de vivre" in a house which has a soul, an history, a lovely and delicate environment thanks to its large garden. It is not an hotel, there are probably some more recent houses around, but it is certainly family oriented and have all the modern equipment and space needed to cope with what a perfect holiday time should be.
Vallon Raget is distant from :
Saint Rémy de Provence (shopping, restaurants, historical sites of Glanum, Les Antiques) : 6 km, 11 mn
Les Baux de Provence (historical hilltop village, wineries, golf) : 9 km, 18 mn.
Saint Etienne du Grès (basic food shops, vegetable market) : 2,4 km, 6 mn.
Tarascon-Beaucaire (all shops, historical King René castle) 9 km, 14 mn.
Arles (many roman vestiges, museums, local tradition fests, photo festival in july) : 17 km, 25 mn.
Avignon (fast train station, historical popes palace, theater festival in july) : 27 km, 30 mn.
Aix en Provence (shopping, classical music festival, fast train station) : 81 km, 1 h.
Marseille (capital of the region, museums, Calanques National park) : 95 km, 1 h 15 mn
Marseille-Provence International Aiport: 81 km, 1 h 15 mn.
Les Saintes Maries de la Mer (Camargue, beaches, traditional culture and fests) : 58 km, 53 mn.
Nice International Airport : 252 km, 2 h 30 mn.
Montpellier Airport : 100 km, 1 h 15 mn.
- The cicadas song is quite strong during summertime, hopefully they stop at night!...
- As everywhere in South of France during summertime fire bushes risks are very high and some parts of the Alpilles regional Park can be closed. We enforce the most cautiousness in that field and ask our guests not to smoke away from the immediate vicinity of house and never light any fire.
- We take care through an external company of the quality of the water of the swimming pool. someone is coming every once a week at a fixed time. Though when it is very windy you can help cleaning the surface with a dedicated net that is provided as tehre are many trees around.
- We can organize extra cleaning service during your stay that you would pay directly to the people in charge.
- One member of our family in charge of taking care of the garden all year long will come from time to time to water the plants, we will organize the days and hours at your arrival to minimize disturbance.
You will have full access to the whole property and be on your own. A part of the main building which is visible of some photos is closed. It used to be the home of a housekeeper, it is not occupied at the moment and not part of the provided area.
Other things to note
On top of the many shopping places, restaurants, festivals, natural places, historical monuments, museums, physical activities and cultural events happening in the heart of Provence where this property is located, this specific area is well known for the quality of its fruits and vegetables. There are plenty of outside markets in the surrounding villages, plus some quality wineries in the region. Be prepared not to miss them!
Someone from the family will be there to welcome you and show you the house, and say hello when you leave. We will stay available if you have any question or if there something wrong, the only people coming would be the pool attendant and one member of our family coming to water the garden, at a fix time you will decide.
Nous sommes quatre frères et soeurs qui aimons faire partager aux autres le bonheur de vivre dans le mas provençal qui est le site privilégié des vacances de notre famille depuis cinq générations.
We are 4 brother/sisters who love to share the happiness of living in the typical "mas" (farm house) from Provence which has been the privileged place of the holidays of our family for five generations.