Buddha's Cup Retreat at Leleka'ae Falls is situated on 20 acres above Hilo Bay providing sweeping 360 degree views of the Pacific Ocean, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. This unique retreat is perfectly suited for sports groups, reunions, an adventure vacation with family and friends or a corporate retreat and includes two 70' waterfalls on the property. This property is off-grid and totally self-sustainable featuring a state-of-the-art photovoltaic solar system. Enjoy the beauty and Aloha of Hawaii.
Natural light spills into every room through large picture windows and French 10-light glass doors highlighting the unique koa, chocolate heart and tropical ash hardwood floors as well as hand-carved balinese doors. Tastefully decorated accommodations are found throughout the space featuring 2 floors. Each floor includes a full kitchen, washer and dryer, three bedrooms, two living areas and two full baths.
The 1200' wrap-around 2nd floor lanai provides guests with plenty of outdoor space to take in the superlative views. The large lanai area off the upper level family room features a grill, an area for dining and plenty of lounge chairs to take in the sights and sounds of the waterfalls.
Mauna Kea can be seen on clear days as a towering backdrop to the property and Mauna Loa, the largest active shield volcano in the world, can be seen above the ridge. Plumes from the current lava flow from the Kilauea volcano vent can be seen in the distance, about 20 miles away.
The large waterfalls on the property feature two waterfall ponds in which to swim or raft, however, guests do so at their own risk as we have no control over the weather up mountain. Large boulders and rocks dot the landscape and the air is fresh and oxygenated from the water's flow.
There is about 2 acres of lawn surrounding the house on the property with a gazebo for waterfall gazing. About 5 acres of the property has been planted with Hawaiian coffee and you'll enjoy a fresh, hot cup for breakfast since coffee is provided for our guests.
This 3,000 sq. ft. estate-styled Retreat will accommodate groups of up to 16 and is 10-15 minutes up mountain from Hilo and 20 minutes from the Hilo International Airport.
Guests have access to two 70' waterfalls on the property at your own risk. Weddings, reunions, ball teams, and groups enjoy this spacious retreat. Parking is limited - please ask about large events.
Interaction with guests
A local property manager will greet you and show you around the property if guests check in prior to 8pm. He or she will be available for any needs you have during your stay.
Other things to note
CANCELLATION POLICY: Strict refund according to AirBnb strict refund policy.
Taxes are built in to the rates. (The tax rate is based upon Hawaii Excise Tax of 4.166 & Transient Accommodations Tax of 9.25.)
All rates are based upon double occupancy (2 guests). Each additional guest will be charged $31.00 per guest per night.
A $300.00 security deposit will be charged.
Massage and Accupuncture Therapy is available. Cleaning services are available for stays of 1 week or more. Please arrange these services through Anna.
The following information is also located in our Welcome Packet upon arrival.
Buddha's Cup Retreat at Leleka'ae Falls is an off-grid 20-acre property on two waterfalls. It is powered by a photovoltaic (solar) system making it non-dependent on fossil fuels. It is a state of the art system but is dependent upon the Sun for energy. For this reason, we ask that you follow these simple guidelines.
1. Please turn off all lights and TV's before leaving the house for your daily activities and secure and lock all doors and front gate.
2. You can monitor the level of battery power on the gauge to the right of the upstairs kitchen sink.
3. Report any issues to the property manager.
This Retreat has it's own rainwater “catchment" system. This side of the Big Island is the rainy side and the catchment tank contains adequate water for our guests. However, there are a few guidelines to share with others in your party:
1. While we treat our water tank, as a precaution, do not drink the catchment water. We provide a water dispenser with 5 gallon drinking water containers for our guests.
2. If you have a large group and are staying for a week or more, make sure to use common sense with regard to normal water conservation. Do not leave the water running unnecessarily for any reason. Please do not wash your rental car or run the water hose except to wash off feet after swimming or hiking. Make sure you have a full load of wash when running the washer.
3. If you notice inconsistent water pressure please notify the property manager.
Situated on 20 acres of land, the property is fenced. Feel free to walk the property and enjoy the overlook platform and the gazebo. Be aware that the rugged beauty of this island can also be the danger of it.
Please be advised of the following:
1. IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN IN YOUR PARTY, please watch them closely and advise them not to venture over the hillside toward the waterfall without adult supervision. There are no cliffs on the property but there are some brushy areas that are deceiving covering steep descents.
2. It's best to close the front gate at night before retiring so that wildlife indigenous to the area cannot enter the property.
3. Please be respectful of the flora and fauna. Feel free to pick ripe fruit from the trees but avoid parking off the driveway in the grass. Please ask permission before cutting flowers & greenery for arrangements.
SMOKING OUTSIDE ONLY. PLEASE ASK US ABOUT PETS