This studio served its purpose for our stay, in that it gave us a warm room to sleep in and watch some TV at the end of long days. However, based on our stay, I would avoid this unit for a number of reasons:
1) Location - The nearest subway station is off of the local G line, requiring a transfer to lines going into Manhattan. If this is the main purpose of your stay, this adds a 5-20 minute transfer (depending on the time of day or day of the week) to any trip to/from the studio.
2) The address on the reservation had the wrong street number for the building, so we had to call while trying to find the actual building late at night in the rain. This could have been avoided all together if the correct address could be used on airbnb.
3) The kitchnette was virtually unusable - the hotplate is rusting and a number of the dishes were dirty... probably because there isn't anything to clean the dishes with in the bathroom sink. There was no coffee maker as presented in the picture.
4) Everything in the unit came across as trying to offer as little as possible, as cheaply as possible. There was only one roll of toilet paper, there are no bedsheets (just a comforter over a fitted sheet), and there are no cleaning supplies (i.e. a broom for the floor). For some reason, there are mounts in the walls for a towel rack, toilet paper holder, and even a smoke detector, yet none of these are in use.
5) As this is a basement unit with thin walls, any noises from the street, other units in the basement, or unit above can be heard very easily. Our upstairs neighbours were active late into the night several nights during our stay.
The room was not as nice as presented in the pictures (which are probably from other units as the configuration of the room changes from picture to picture); at the very least there's noticeable wear and tear marks on various walls and there is no coffee maker in this room.
As far as safety goes, it wasn't a great part of town but it has gentrified enough that safety should be OK (I saw a Porsche using the street parking a block over at one morning, so how bad can it really be?). The front door to the building is also locked, so that helps. I don't know if the issue other guests had with the same key being used for all of the airbnb units in the building has been addressed.