Skip to content

Things to do in Don Pedro Reservoir

Top recommendations from locals

From sightseeing to hidden gems, find out what makes the city unique with the help of the locals who know it best.
Scenic Lookout
“a great lake to spend the day. Ask us if interested in boating/wake boarding or skiing... if time allows we love to go. Fee- smiles, some gas and snacks...”
  • 8 locals recommend
Grocery or Supermarket
“The market is small but well stocked with food & hardware. The deli offers cold sandwiches and burgers. They sell beer, wine and liquor. The gas station is open 24 hours for credit/debit card users. ”
  • 2 locals recommend
Point of Interest
“Don Pedro Lake Recreation area offers picnicking, boating, skiing, fishing, 3 snack bars and a swimming lagoon.”
  • 1 local recommends
Farm
“In the 1950’s, several smaller and older fish hatcheries, operated by the California Department of Fish and Game, were closed and hatchery operations moved to larger more efficient operations. The Basin Creek (Tuolumne), Yosemite, Bass Lake (Madera), Kings River and Visalia hatcheries were closed and replaced by the new San Joaquin Hatchery (on the San Joaquin River) and the Moccasin Creek Hatchery”
  • 3 locals recommend
Campground
  • 1 local recommends
Point of Interest
“Chinese Camp is the remnant of a notable California Gold Rush mining town. The settlement was first known as "Camp Washington" or "Washingtonville" and one of the few remaining streets is Washington Street. Some of the very first Chinese laborers arriving in California in 1849 were driven from neighboring Camp Salvado and resettled here, and the area started to become known as "Chinee" or "Chinese Camp" or "Chinese Diggings". At one point, the town was home to an estimated 5,000 Chinese. The Chinese Camp post office was established in the general store on April 18, 1854. This building is currently vacant, and a post office is in operation on a plot of land rented from a local resident. An 1892 Tuolumne County history indicates that, in 1856, four of the six Chinese companies (protective associations) had agents here and that the first tong war (between the Sam Yap and Yan Woo tongs) was fought near here when the population of the area totaled several thousand. The actual location is several miles away, past the 'red hills', near the junction of Red Hills Road and J-59. An 1860 diary says Chinese Camp was the metropolis for the mining district, with many urban comforts. While placer mining had played out in much of the Gold Country by the early 1860s, it was still active here as late as 1870. An 1899 mining bulletin listed the total gold production of the area as near US$2.5 million. June 2014. The Chinese Camp, California Elementary School Chinese Camp is the location and subject of California Historical Landmark 423 – The Saint Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church, established in 1849, making it the oldest church in the county. The church was renovated in 1949 by John Nicolini but has since fallen into disrepair. The church itself is owned by the Stockton archdiocese. The current Chinese Camp School is very distinctive, having been designed by Dolores Nicolini in the style of a Chinese pagoda. This school has been in operation since 1970. Previously, the school was in a building near the church. This building was lost in a fire on May 4, 2006. The fire was caused by carelessness on the part of several local individuals[”
  • 1 local recommends
Natural Feature
“Visit the fish hatchery at Moccasin Creek. It's free to get in and very entertaining for children and adults. There is a coin operated food vending machine so bring your coins (25 cents) and it will give you food which you can throw for thousands of trout!”
  • 2 locals recommend
Street Address
“Small outdoor roadside cafe is very close to the Motherlode Miners Cabin. Homestyle cooking featuring pastries, breakfast options, sandwiches, and more. ”
  • 1 local recommends
Locality
“A company town, Moccasin is almost entirely owned by the City and County of San Francisco. Homes are used for employees who work on the Hetch Hetchy Water & Power system. Most buildings are painted the same color and homes in the community look similar as a result. There are no stores or gas stations. Construction on the original Moccasin Powerhouse was started in Fall 1921. The facility was completed and began generating power on August 14, 1925. ”
  • 1 local recommends