Tips on liquified petroleum (LP) gas safety
Liquified Petroleum (LP) Gas is the common name for any of several liquid mixtures of volatile and flammable gasses such as propane, butene, and butane. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), LP Gas is commonly used to power appliances such as dryers, stoves, grills, and heaters but can quickly become a safety hazard if not stored or used properly. Below are some tips that can help you prevent safety incidents related to LP gas leaks and explosions:
- Minimize the risk of LP gas leaks or explosions by storing gas containers properly. Do not place them on the roof or store them where the container can be tampered with, damaged, or exposed to excessive heat.
- LP Gas appliances should be installed and serviced by a qualified plumber or professional. Do not install or do maintenance on an LP gas-powered appliance, connection, or storage container on your own.
- LP Gas containers that power indoor appliances (stoves, heaters, dryers, etc.) should be placed outside, never in the home or the garage.
- Do not try to install, modify, or repair valves, regulators, connectors, or controls on a cylinder or tank parts.
- Have older appliance connectors inspected for cracks and breaks, which can cause a gas leak.
- Portable appliances should only be used indoors in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Unlike carbon monoxide, most LP gasses emit a distinct odour. If you smell gas inside your home, get out of the home quickly and call the fire department or emergency services. Do not go back in until you are told it is safe to do so.
- How-to•GuestCarbon monoxide alarms aren’t common in many parts of the world, so we suggest buying one to bring with you when you travel.
- Rules•GuestHosts are encouraged to install carbon monoxide alarms in their space. Find out more about our home safety program.
- How-to•GuestKnife handling, fire prevention, and food safety—find out some best practices to keep your kitchen a safe place.